Monday, June 8, 2015

Janet A. Mota - Interview

Featured Author of the Week - Janet A. Mota




Author Name:   Janet A. Mota
Fiction or Non-Fiction:   Fiction
Genre(s):  Contemporary Romance
Number of books published:   2
Links to published work (Amazon, Smashwords, etc):
Amazon author page

Kobo 


WYLABWYW: Author Bio

I am 36 years old and live in Jacksonville, FL.  I am married with 2 children (ages 4 and 2).  I work in Bankruptcy Law during the day and write at night.  I am also a beta reader, reviewer, and an editor.  My family is from Portugal.  I have three college degrees:  an Associate of Science in Legal Assisting, a Bachelor’s of Science in Information Technology, and a Juris Doctorate Degree in Law.


WYLABWYW: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Something we won’t find in you author bio on your website (do you work, hobbies, what do you like to do when not writing/working, etc.).

I am an avid reader.  I love to cook and bake.  I am a huge chocolate chip cookie lover.  I don’t drink or smoke.  I also don’t curse but think it’s funny when everyone else does.


WYLABWYW:  Are you self-published, with an agency, or a combination of the two?

I am self-published.


WYLABWYW: What inspired you to become a writer?

Writing has always been an outlet for me.  Growing up wasn’t easy so writing helped me cope.  I never published anything until Unexpected Surprises.


WYLABWYW: Do you have a mentor or mentors?

My mentor is Kelly Elliott.  My first experience with her writing was an Audiobook.  I loved it and picked up her next book.  When I started to read it, I realized her writing style is much like mine.  I have read every single book and own every single audiobook she has out.


WYLABWYW:  What do you do to prepare for a story?

I outline the story in my mind to make sure that it’s a story that I want to tell.  Once the outline is completed, I work on character names.


WYLABWYW: What do you find to be your biggest obstacle in the writing process?

The original outline is my biggest obstacle.  Making sure that the story makes sense and that all the holes are covered.


WYLABWYW:  Where do you write?

On the couch, in front of the TV.  The TV helps me focus.


WYLABWYW: Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what do you typically listen to?

No.


WYLABWYW: How much of your book(s), if any, is taken from real life events?

A little of my books comes from life experiences.  Shattered especially has quite a bit of me.


WYLABWYW:   Who is/was your biggest support for your writing career?

My family has given me so much support.  I am very blessed.


WYLABWYW:  What lead to write your chosen genre?

I am a hopeless romantic and have always written love stories.


WYLABWYW:  Tell us about your book(s).


Unexpected Surprises:

Five years ago, Kat lost her family in a car accident.  Ever since, she has been in a deep depression.  She quit her job and started writing so she would not have to leave her house.  She lost herself.  She has no idea how to come out of the ugliness.  She decides that she needs to push herself out of the house but she needs to go where no memories exist.  She decides to go visit the country where her family was from, Portugal.  She rents an apartment from her uncle with the hopes of finally being able to start moving on.

Rey is serving in the United States military.  He is living in Germany but only has a few more months before he contract is up.  He goes on leave for his cousin’s wedding which is taking place in Portugal.  He rents his uncle’s apartment for a few weeks.  When he gets there, he realizes someone is staying in there.  When he realizes it is Kat, his world is turned upside down. 

Kat and Rey have a history.  Although nothing ever happened between them, there were some feelings and emotions that were never expressed to no one.  Rey vows to help Kat get out of the depression by getting her to go sightseeing and possibly open up.  Will Kat allow Rey to help her? Can Kat get past the death of her family and allow someone into her heart?  Will Rey’s military career put a stop to a relationship before it starts?


Shattered:

Haylee was raped in high school. When she identified the rapist to the authorities, it was dismissed for no evidence. She had to live in fear until she graduated high school. Her parents have not been able to deal with what happened to her and have shut her out of their lives.  She goes to college and meets Stacey. Stacey and her family become her family.  She meets Zander, Stacey’s older brother, and immediately falls for him.  She has never dated and he only experience she's had with a man was her rape.  Zander feels the same for Haylee but she keeps pushing him away. One thing leads to another and Haylee decides she will not let the rape control her life anymore. Will Haylee allow herself to love Zander freely? Will Zander take those demons out of her head and show her what love is?


WYLABWYW: Time to give your support a shout out! Tell us about your crew (cover designer, photographer, editor, videographer, proofreader, swag designer, etc.)

My cousin, Sonia and her boyfriend, posed for the cover of Shattered.  My cousin, Catherine Fournier Apolinario, was in Portugal at the time that I was working on the cover for Unexpected Surprises.  So, I asked her to take that picture and there is my cover.  I take the pics and create my covers.

Vanessa Archbold has been my editor.  She is one my oldest friends and amazing at editing my manuscripts.


WYLABWYW: What are you working on now, and when can we expect your next release?

I am working on my first series.  Book 1 of the Coming Homes Series will release sometime this summer. 


WYLABWYW: Can you share an excerpt from a work in progress?

Tucker

I am sitting at the local bar contemplating on what I have done with my life.  I am almost twenty eight years old and I feel like I haven’t done anything worthwhile.  I always hated school.  I made sure to get a high school diploma but college wasn’t in the cards for me.  I went to a technical school and became a roofer a year later.  I have been working at Southern Roofing for eight years now.  I have made good money but I feel like my life is empty.  My brother, Jake, and I don’t get along and it got worse after my parents passed away and he went off to college.  My best friend, Shane, left home and went to Louisiana State University.  He comes home to visit but it isn’t the same.  Our little circle of friends seemed to have disappeared when everyone went to college and I stayed behind in the town we all grew up in.  We all went our separate ways except for Jake and Belle.  They both attended New York University and were both studying radiology.  Don’t get me wrong.  I am proud of all my friends and I want to see them succeed.  Unfortunately, I can’t help but feel left behind.  I don’t have a girlfriend and I have always dreamed of having a family of my own.  The one girl I have always wanted is way out of my league and my best friend’s sister.  Shane would kill me if I went after Kayla, I think.  Honestly, I’m pretty sure Kayla would laugh in my face if I ever asked her out.  Kayla is absolutely gorgeous.  She has long light brown hair and the most amazing green eyes.  She has an hourglass figure that will drop a man to his knees.  Besides her killer looks, the enormous brain on that woman is so hot.  I would give anything to have more than a friendship with her but I am afraid of rejection and that our friendship will go to hell.  I am also pretty sure she has never looked at me that way anyway.


WYLABWYW:  Do you have any upcoming signing events or appearances scheduled later this year or in 2016?

I will be attending and signing at the Angels and Sirens Author Event.  It will be in March of 2016 in Pittsburgh.


WYLABWYW: Which new authors have caught your attention?

Stephanie Reynolds, Jenna Fox, Amanda Sloan, Desiree Cox, Jordan Marie, Lisa S. Robinson, Alexa Keith, Harper Miller.


WYLABWYW: Where can readers find you?
 Facebook
Amazon page
Goodreads
Newsletter Mailing List
Janet’s Romantics 


Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment